Aquino approves cityhood of General Trias in Cavite
MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III signed on August 19 Republic Act 10675, the law which converts the municipality of General Trias in Cavite into a component city.
All that's left for the law to be effective is a plebiscite voting among residents of General Trias. The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is yet to assign a date for the plebiscite.
If the results of the plebiscite favor the cityhood, General Trias will be Cavite's 7th city, and the country's 145th city.
The conversion of General Trias to a city was approved, as it has met the requirements set by the Local Government Code:
- A locally generated income of at least P100 million for the last two consecutive years (as certified by the Department of Finance)
- A population of 150,000 or more (as certified by the National Statistics Office) or a contiguous territory of 100 square kilometers (as certified by the Land Management Bureau)
General Trias is only 81.46 square kilometers, but it has a population of 243,322 as of the 2010 Census.
The Commission on Audit (COA) has reported that the municipality generated a total income of P759 million "from local taxes, permits and licenses, service and business income and internal revenue allotments" in 2013.
In his sponsorship speech in June, Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr recognized General Trias as one of the most progressive municipalities in Cavite.
"From an agriculture-based locality, General Trias has evolved into a progressive municipality with a steady growth of industry and real estate development," he said.
Effects of cityhood
The cityhood of General Trias will improve the salary grade (SG) of its local officials:
- From SG-27 (for municipal mayor) to SG-30 (for city mayor)
- From SG-25 (for municipal vice mayor) to SG-26 (for city vice mayor)
- From SG-24 (for Sangguniang Bayan members) to SG-25 (for Sangguniang Panglungsod members)
- From SG-24 (for municipal government department heads) to SG-25 (for city government department heads)
Also, the number of sanggunian members or councilors will increased from 8 to 10.
RA 10675 clarifies that General Trias will remain under the jurisdiction of the 6th legistrative district, currently represented by congressman Luis Ferrer IV. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.