Sotto's #NotoRHbill speech flares up social media
MANILA, Philippines - Twitter flared up Monday afternoon, August 13, when Sen Vicente "Tito" Sotto III delivered a speech to explain why he thinks the Reproductive Health bill should not be passed into law.
The senator maintained that contraceptives are abortifacients. He said that he and his wife Helen Gamboa were forced to use contraceptives because of their showbiz careers. But he said he regretted it because it supposedly led to the death of their firstborn child.
Here's how netizens reacted to his speech:
For more updates on the issue of the RH Bill, view our #RHBill Debate Microsite.
Read on for other views on the RH Bill debate:
|Yes to RH Bill||No to RH Bill|
More in #RHBill Debate:
- The 7 Deadly Sins of the RH bill, according to Sotto
- CONVERSATIONS: Are you for or against the #RHbill?
- Nobel Prize winner contradicts CBCP
- Fact Sheet: House Bill 4244 on Reproductive Health
- UN weighs in on RH Bill
- WHO on RH bill: No politics, just facts
- RH bill backers hit bishops' 'science'
- Catholics clash over controversial RH bill
- Poverty, scarcity and the rule of the Catholic Church
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.