5 officials of DOST's attached agency dismissed over PDAF scam
MANILA, Philippines – Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has ordered the dismissal from service of 5 officials of the Technology Resource Center (TRC) for their involvement in the misuse of Priority Development Assistance Funds (PDAF) worth P101 million.
TRC is an attached agency of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
The following executives are dismissed over their involvement in the misuse of the PDAF of former congressmen Alvin Sandoval (Malabon-Navotas), Anthony Miranda (Isabela), and Constantino Jaraula (Cagayan de Oro):
- Deputy Director General Dennis Cunanan
- Chief Accountant Marivic Jover
- Budget Officer IV Consuelo Lilian Espiritu
- Sales and Promotion Officer V Belina Concepcion
- Internal Auditor V Maurine Dimaranan
In a statement on Wednesday, October 21, the Office of the Ombudsman said the TRC officials "facilitated, processed, and approved the illegal disbursement of public funds orchestrated by Sandoval, Jaraula and Miranda."
They were found guilty of grave misconduct, serious dishonesty, and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service. Aside from dismissal from service, the penalty for the officials also includes:
- Cancellation of eligibility
- Forfeiture of retirement benefits
- Perpetual disqualification from holding public office and from taking the civil service examination
The Ombudsman directed DOST Secretary Mario Montejo to implement the decision.
Meanwhile, the former congressmen are facing charges for their involvement in the multi-billion-peso pork barrel scam case. Based on investigations,
- Sandoval endorsed 3 non-governmental organizations that would receive P30 million of his PDAF from 2007 to 2009
- Miranda "unlawfully chanelled" P20.06 million of his PDAF in 2007 to an NGO which he himself controls – the Aksyon Makamasa Foundation Incorporated.
- Jaraula misused P50.5 million of his PDAF from 2004 to 2007.