Ryan Jaworski’s arraignment moved to Feb 2016
MANILA, Philippines – A Makati court has moved the arraignment of Ryan Jopseh Jaworski, son of basketball icon and former senator Robert Jaworski, from Wednesday, November 11, to February 10, 2016.
Jaworski made his first public appearance before the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 139 on Wednesday, since figuring in an alleged buy-bust operation turned shootout with police officers.
Jaworski had been indicted with 4 counts of attempted murder in conspiracy with Joselito Au, the supposed driver of the getaway vehicle. Jaworski is also facing one count of illegal possession of firearms, while Au faces two counts of physical injuries.
Their arraignment before the court was slated Wednesday morning, but Presiding Judge Benjamin Pozon granted Jaworski’s petition, filed by his lead counsel Richard Nethercott, to move it to February 10, 2016.
Jaworski’s lawyers filed a petition before the Department of Justice early Wednesday, seeking a review of the resolution of state prosecutors finding probable cause to indict Jaworski with his charges.
Jaworski and Au, who have both posted bail, are suspected of involvement in gunrunning activities. Members of the Regional Police Intelligence Operation Unit (RPIOU) of the National Capital Region Police Office put them under surveillance and attempted to conduct a firearm buy-bust operation past 1 am on September 19. (READ: Robert Jaworski’s son seeks dismissal of charges, sues police)
However, police claimed that the operation turned into a shootout after Jaworski’s camp fired at them. He went to the Makati RTC using a cane after nursing a gunshot wound on his thigh.
The accused have since denied their charges. The Jaworski family alleged that the police operation is a “hulidap” – or a police extortion scam in the guise of a legitimate arrest. The term is a play on "huli," Filipino for nab, and hold-up.
Asked about court decision to move back the arraignment proceedings by a few months, Police Inspector Joy Opalec, leader of the RPIOU team involved, said he still finds the decision of the judge to be fair.
“Nabigay naman nila ‘yung part nila. Inapprove naman ng judge ng 139. Nakita nila siguro na valid (Jaworski’s camp were able to explain their part in court. The judge of Branch 139 approved it. He probably saw it as valid)," he said.
Jaworski and his lawyers refused to be interviewed by the media after the court proceedings, saying they will speak in due time. – Rappler.com