MANILA, Philippines – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Tuesday, February 9, posted a P10,000-bail in connection with a libel case filed against him by dismissed Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr.
The Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 142 had earlier issued a warrant for his arrest after it found “probable cause” in the libel case.
Trillanes posted bail hours after he returned from abroad, where he attended an international forum. The Makati RTC will soon set the date for his arraignment.
Binay filed the libel complaint against the senator before the Office of the Makati City Prosecutor on April 13, 2015. It was the same day Trillanes said two justices of the appellate court’s 6th division received a total of P50 million to issue a temporary restraining order and a writ of preliminary injunction stopping the Ombudsman’s second preventive suspension against Binay.
In his libel complaint, Binay cited public statements made by Trillanes and quotes attributed to him in a report published in the April 8 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Trillanes, vice presidential candidate, was quoted as saying that the Binay family was “part of a syndicate” that has committed various anomalies.
The senator remains unfazed and said the libel case will not stop him from going after the Binays.
Trillanes is part of the Senate blue ribbon subcommittee that investigated the corruption allegations against Vice President Jejomar Binay, his son Junjun, and his alleged “dummies.” – Rappler.com