Gibo Teodoro: I will think about DND post offer
DAVAO CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – Former defense chief Gilbert Teodoro Jr confirmed on Monday, May 16, that he was offered by president-elect Rodrigo Duterte the post of defense secretary. He said he would consult with his family before deciding.
Teodoro told reporters after meeting with Duterte that he would think about the offer and consult his family.
"He [Duterte] told me earlier he wanted me to consider it and I answered that it's not a decision I can make on my own. I have to consult my family and other commitments I have made," he said as he left Matina Enclaves on Monday evening.
He said he would get back to Duterte on his final decision as soon as possible.
Teodoro also said that Mark Villar, son of former Senate president Manny Villar and Senator Cynthia Villar, was in the same room when Duterte made the offer. He hinted that Duterte offered the same post to Villar but this was later disputed by Duterte spokesman Peter Laviña during an ambush interview.
The 51-year-old Teodoro served as defense chief under the Arroyo government and ran for president in 2010, a race won by his cousin, President Benigno Aquino III.
In August 2015, Teodoro was named board chairman of Sagittarius Mines Incorporated (SMI). The appointment followed the completion of the sale of the majority stake previously held by Glencore International to Filipino-owned Alsons Prime Investment Corporation early this month. – with reports from Pia Ranada/Rappler.com
Move, the civic engagement arm of Rappler, is crowdsourcing comments on, and recommendations for, nominees to the Duterte Cabinet.
You can post information and opinion on Gibo Teodoro on X.