Generals to Duterte: We're not involved in illegal drugs
MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – Police generals linked by President Rodrigo Duterte to the illegal drugs trade on Tuesday, July 5, denied his allegations, saying they're willing to take a lie detector test and undergo a lifestyle check to prove their innocence.
In an interview on dzMM hours after President Duterte's bombshell, former Quezon City Police District (QCPD) chief Edgardo Tinio said he can face the President, look him in the eye, and tell the Chief Executive, "I am not involved in any shenanigans, I am not involved in any nefarious activities….I am not involved in the drug trade," he said.
Tinio, who had been QCPD director for 11 months until the revamp ordered by the new PNP chief on July 1, said his primary goal now is to clear his name. "Ang importante sa akin ngayon malinis ko ang aking pangalan. I still have one year and 6 months to go sa serbisyo. Once na malinis ko ang aking pangalan, ako ay mag-e-early retirement na," he said.
(What's important to me now is that I clear my name. I still have one year and 6 months to go in the PNP. Once I clear my name, I will opt for early retirement.)
Tinio said he's willing to undergo a lie detector test and a lifestyle check to prove his innocence.
Chief Superintendent Joel Pagdilao, former National Capital Region Police Office chief, also insisted he is "not a protector of illegal drugs." He said he was saddened by the President's accusations.
"Sa aking almost 32 years sa service, hindi ako nagkaroon ng ano mang bahid sa paglilingkod sa aking trabaho," Pagdilao told TV Patrol.
(In my 32 years in service, my work has never been tainted.)
Asked if, like Tinio, he's willing to undergo a lifestyle check, Pagdilao said: "Yes, nakahanda kung ano man ang imbestigasyon. Handa kong ipagtanggol ang aking sarili at ang pangalan ng Pagdilao." (Yes, whatever the investigation takes. I am ready to defend myself and my family name.)
The elder brother of Pagdilao, Samuel, ran for the Senate – but lost – in the last elections.
It was Tinio who replaced Pagdilao as QCPD chief when the latter was promoted to head the entire police force of Metro Manila last year.
Diaz's 'personal reasons'
Also interviewed on DZMM, another general named by Duterte, former Western Visayas police chief Chief Superintendent Bernardo Diaz, said: "Bukas na bukas mag-re-report ako kay Director General (Ronald) Dela Rosa." (I will report to Director General Dela Rosa first thing in the morning.)
Diaz also cited his “personal reasons” to prove that he abhors illegal drugs – a younger brother who had to go to a rehabilitation center thrice to cure his addiction; a male cousin who died because of substance abuse; and another cousin, a 21-year-old woman, who was killed by a drug addict.
PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa said he will begin a probe into Tinio, Pagdilao and Diaz, all still in active-duty even if relieved from their posts. (READ: PNP chief to probe generals linked to drug trade)
Pagdilao and Diaz are 1984 graduates of the Philippine Military Academy, the class that has as one of its "adopted" classmates defeated presidential candidate Manuel "Mar" Roxas II.
The two retired police officials named by Duterte are former Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr and Vic Loot, now mayor of the town of Daanbantayan, Cebu. Garbo is also associated with Roxas and was nominated to become PNP chief when Roxas was interior secretary. – Rappler.com