Central Visayas top cop on Duterte drug list: 'May kasunod pa'
CEBU CITY, Philippines – The list of about 150 local officials, judges, and police officers allegedly involved in the drug trade that President Rodrigo Duterte revealed is not complete. This much was guaranteed by Philippine National Police (PNP) Region 7 Director Noli Taliño.
"Sigurado, may kasunod pa 'yan," Taliño told reporters on Monday, August 8. (There's surely going to be another list.)
Taliño said that those on the list came from Duterte's own intelligence. He did not elaborate on how the names from the Central Visayas landed on the list.
But he clarified that he had nothing to do with the initial list, which was completed before Taliño assumed office on July 4. He said he was "not surprised" by names he heard on the list.
Another list from PNP the regional command will be forwarded to PNP Director Ronald dela Rosa once the names have been "validated and revalidated."
The police officers from Cebu who were named by the President for their alleged links to the illegal drugs are:
- Regional Superintendent Romeo Stander
- PO2 Michael Cortez and SPO1 Onel Nabua of Barili, Cebu
- PO3 Ryan Martus Kiamco of the Cebu Provincial Police Office
- SPO1 Jen dela Victoria of the Cebu City Police Station 5
- Jomar Ibañez of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office
- SPO3 Christie Cielo Tingad (no office specified)
Former Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama and San Fernando Vice Mayor Fralz "BB" Sabalones were among the mayors on the list.
“I am very much saddened by what the President uttered. In my own view, it is very much untrue...so I wish, wherever they ask me to be at, I am very much eager to know where to go to clear the air of doubts,” Rama was quoted in Sun.Star Cebu.
He said all police officers and government officials on the list were asked to report to Camp Crame to submit to an investigation on their own expense.
Later on Monday, Fralz' brother Franz surrendered to Dela Rosa in Camp Crame in Quezon City and admitted to being involved in the drug trade.
So far, a police officer from Davao who died 6 years ago, a judge from Samar who was killed 8 years ago, and a dead ex-mayor landed on the list Duterte announced at 2 am Sunday, August 7, at Camp Panacan in Davao City.
Reporters asked how reliable he believed Duterte's information was. "Very reliable," Taliño said. He said in Filipino, "He has acess to the entire intelligence community."
In July, 75 precinct chiefs were relieved due to performance issues. When Dela Rosa visited Cebu City, he said several police officials in the city were relieved because of their "links to illegal drugs."
On the matter of drug-related deaths, Taliño said there have been 54 recorded cases of suspects being killed in legitimate police operations, while 42 have been killed by "unknown assailants" since President Duterte was elected last May 10.
"Only officers should be involved in anti-drug operations," Taliño said. He also said that the PNP would investigate vigilante killings in the region.
Nationwide, at least 300 have been killed in police operations, while many others have been killed by possible vigilantes as of July.
Duterte himself said on vigilante killings, "Sigurado ako may sinalvage, sigurado ako diyan, and we will investigate (I am sure there were 'salvage' victims, and we will investigate)." – Rappler.com