MANILA, Philippines – A pregnant victim of the September 2 blast at the Davao City night market has died, 11 days after she went into a coma following the deadly explosion.
Vicenta Depalubos Asperin, 21, died at the Metro Davao Medical and Research Center at around 10:17 pm Monday, September 12. She was 6 months pregnant and expecting a baby girl.
Asperin’s death brings to 15 the number of victims killed in the explosion at the Roxas Night Market last September 2.
Asperin died of heart failure and brain damage, the City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) said, quoting a medical report.
Her unborn baby also died, but the deaths were only counted as one because the baby was not separated from her mother.
“Based on the notes from the Local Civil Registrar, the counting should be one because the unborn baby remained inside the mother’s womb. They were not separated,” CSSDO chief Ma Luisa Bermudo said.
Many of the casualties were customers and attendants of the massage parlor near the night market. Asperin, a massage therapist, was severely injured when a splinter from the blast entered her nose and went straight to her brain.
She had been attending to another victim, Daniel Larrida, who died on the spot.
Asperin’s brother, Gregorio Depalubos, said their family is now seeking justice for his sister’s death.
“I hope the people responsible are arrested and that they are made to pay for what they have done. My sister didn’t do them wrong. She was innocent and she was pregnant. It is too much! They have to pay,” he said. – Rappler.com