MANILA, Philippines – At least 4 drug rehabilitation centers will be built in military camps in major regions in the Philippines, said Communications Secretary Martin Andanar in a statement.
“At least 4 will be built this year, two in Luzon, and one in the Visayas, and one in Mindanao,” said Andanar on Monday, September 19.
The construction of rehabilitation centers is “part of the second phase” of President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-drug campaign, the Secretary claimed.
Duterte had earlier mentioned that one of the centers would be built in Fort Magsaysay, a military camp in Palayan City, Nueva Ecija. He had even said that the Chinese government has offered to help pay for the facility.
Over 3,200 people have died in relation to the Duterte administration’s “war” on illegal drugs. Of these, 2,073 were victims of extrajudicial killings.
The Palace, however, said the Duterte government is not behind the extrajudicial executions, saying they are the work of criminal syndicates.
Over 700,000 supposed drug addicts have surrendered to authorities since the start of the Duterte administration. But the Department of Health says of these, only 500 persons have been admitted in treatment and rehabilitation centers.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development, in its proposed budget for 2017, is asking for P1.4 billion for the national drug rehabilitation program.
Duterte, in many speeches, has said that his administration currently lacks resources to treat drug addicts because they are working on a national budget approved under the Aquino administration which had different budget priorities. – Rappler.com