MANILA, Philippines – Audit teams of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) have recommended the suspension of 10 more mines, according to a top environment official.
“The audit teams have recommended for suspension 10 more mines. This is for evaluation by the DENR,” Senior Undersecretary for Environment Leo Jasareno told Rappler in a text message on Thursday, September 22.
He added that more information, including the names of the 10 mines, will be disclosed after the evaluation, which may be on Monday, September 26.
To date, the DENR has already suspended the mining operations of 10 firms:
- BenguetCorp Nickel Mines Incorporated
- Eramen Minerals Incorporated
- LNL Archipelago Minerals Incorporated
- Zambales Diversified Metals Corporation
- Berong Nickel
- Claver Minerals
- Ore Asia Mining Development Corporation
- Mt Sinai Mining Exploration and Development Corporation
- Emir Mineral Resources Corporation
During the DENR’s budget hearing at the House of Representatives on September 5, Environment Secretary Gina Lopez revealed her department had completed its audit on all existing mines in the country.
She vowed then to “definitely” suspend more mining operations, including large-scale ones, based on “technical” reasons that are “backed by scientific data.” – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.