Duterte names journalist as ambassador to China
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – President Rodrigo Duterte has named Jose Santiago "Chito" Santa Romana, a journalist who worked in Beijing for decades, as the Philippines' new ambassador to China.
Santa Romana, former Beijing bureau chief of ABC News, will have concurrent jurisdiction over North Korea and Mongolia.
Duterte nominated Santa Romana as envoy to China on September 28, the Commission on Appointments (CA) said.
Recently, Santa Romana joined former president Fidel V. Ramos in "icebreaker" talks with Chinese representatives in Hong Kong, upon Duterte's instructions.
Santa Romana's nomination comes as the Philippines seeks formal talks with China regarding the two countries' dispute over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
At the same time, the President also named Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose as Philippine ambassador to Malaysia.
Jose was also nominated on September 28.
Jose has served as DFA spokesman since March 2014. Before this, he was Philippine consul general in Shanghai, China.
Along with Jose and Santa Romana, Duterte also recently nominated the following ambassadors:
- Teodoro Locsin Jr as permanent representative to the United Nations in New York, nominated on September 28
- Uriel Norman Garibay as ambassador to Kenya, nominated on September 28
- Shirley Vicario as ambassador to Nigeria, nominated on September 28
- Alan Timbayan as ambassador to Qatar, nominated on September 20
- Jose V. Laurel as ambassador to Japan, nominated on September 15
- Philippe Lhuillier as ambassador to Spain, nominated on September 5
- Antonio Manuel Lagdameo as ambassador to the United Kingdom, nominated on August 18
- James Lao as ambassador to Brunei, nominated on August 18
Duterte's nominees will later have to be screened by the CA. Then, they will have to be accepted by their receiving states before they formally begin their work. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.