Baguio anti-Marcos rally: 'This will not be the last'
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines – Demonstrators marched along Session Road late Friday afternoon, November 25, as part of nationwide protest against the hero's burial that the administration accorded former President Ferdinand Marcos.
More than 300 students and professors from the University of the Philippines-Baguio, as well as representatives of civil society groups said this protest will not be the last.
They vowed to sustain protest actions until Marcos' remains are returned to Ilocos Norte, where the dictator's remains had been kept in a family mauseleum for nearly 3 decades until Duterte allowed the burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
The Supreme Court sustained the President's order after hearing arguments from petitioners who presented evidence of Marcos' fake war medals and the human rights violations attributed to his authoritarian regime.
Because the burial was surreptitiously carried out while the High Court's decision was not yet final and executory, some of the petitioners have filed a motion to hold the military and the Marcos family in contempt.
At the main rally in Manila and some of the simultaneous rallies across the country, protesters led by progressive groups called on President Rodrigo Duterte to end his alliance with the Marcoses.
For highlights of the November 25 rallies across the country, go to Rappler's live blog. – Rappler.com
All photos by Mauricio Victa
- The night Ferdinand Marcos was buried – again
- Students at anti-Marcos rally: We're part of the fight
- Luneta protesters to Duterte: End alliance with Marcos family
- UP Oblation Run hits Marcos burial at Heroes' Cemetery
- Sideshow: Group goes to Luneta to defend Duterte
- IN PHOTOS: Signs of the times at Luneta rally
From the provinces
- Ilocanos protest too: 'Marcos is no hero'
- Bishop to Marcoses: Don't use a corpse for ambitions
- Bicol protesters: Hold Duterte accountable for Marcos burial
- Bacolod: Negrenses rally in heavy rain vs Marcos burial
- Ilonggos brave rains to protest Marcos burial
- Protesters in Imelda’s Tacloban: Dig up Marcos remains
- IN PHOTOS: Anti-Marcos rallies outside Metro Manila