Army commander in B'laan tribe deaths resigns
MANILA, Philippines - The commander of the Army's 27th Infantry Battalion has resigned from his post following a lapse in the military operation in Kiblawan, Davao del Sur that killed B'laan tribe members.
Commander Lt. Col. Alexis Bravo has resigned "to allow other third party groups to investigate (the incident) freely and to prove that there is no cover-(up) in the search for truth in this incident," Lt. Col. Lyndon Paniza, 10th Infantry Division spokesman, confirmed on Sunday, November 4.
The resignation comes after a military inquiry found that the 13 soldiers under Bravo, led by 1st Lt. Dante Jimenez, committed tactical lapse in the military operation on October 18 that killed the wife and two sons of tribal leader Daguil Capion.
Killed were Capion's 27-year-old wife Juvy and their sons Pop, 13, and John, 8.
The soldiers said they were fired upon as they neared a hut of the Capion family in an isolated part of Kiblawan town, prompting them to fire back.
But they were found negligent when they engaged in a shootout with the tribal leader because they did not try to avoid civilian casualties.
Jimenez had been temporarily relieved from his post pending the results of the investigation.The 13 soldiers could face life in jail if found guilty.
"(Bravo's) action is laudable and an example of a true gentleman and courageous leader who is willing to accept the consequence of his action and of his subordinates," Paniza said.
Bravo's resignation will take effect on Monday, November 5. He is said to be replaced by Lt. Col. Shalimar Imperial. - Rappler.com