'Pablo' kills 23 in Davao Oriental town
MANILA, Philippines - At least 23 people have been reported dead in Cateel town in Davao Oriental after typhoon "Pablo" struck the province on Tuesday, December 4, a local official said.
Davao Oriental Gov. Corazon Malanyaon confirmed the fatalities to ABS-CBN News and added that evacuation centers in the province are collapsed, some of them even roofless.
The rescue teams have so far been unable to reach 3 isolated towns as roads are impassable, and Malanyaon said she is discussing with the Navy how to reach the areas.
Previously, 44 people were reported dead in a landslide in Compostela Valley, bringing the total death toll of "Pablo" to 73.
The typhoon, the strongest to hit the Philippines in 2012, made landfall in Davao Oriental on Tuesday morning. - Rappler.com