DFA collects P665-M in aid for typhoon victims

Rappler.com
Most of the aid comes from the Australian government

WAVE OF DESTRUCTION. The typhoon struck Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental provinces in Mindanao. Davao Oriental. Photo by Jeoffrey B. Maitem

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines has received over P665 million in financial assistance from abroad for the victims of typhoon Pablo, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Tuesday, December 18.

Almost half of the amount (P307-M) comes from the Australian government, while other countries and institutions with significant contributions were the European Union, ASEAN and Japan.

The rest was provided by other foreign nations as well as Filipino community organizations all over the world.

The DFA said in a statement that the assistance and material donations were delivered to the department and Philippine embassies and consulates.

Country/IO Amount (Php) Pledges (Php) In-kind
Australia 307,000,000.00    
ASEAN-HA     3 generators
Canada 82,660,000.00    
China 1,239,900.00    
European Union   160,000,000.00  
Indonesia 41,330,000.00   Assorted relief goods (4 metric tons)
Ireland     Medical supplies (31.99 metric tons)
Japan 172,000,000.00   Assorted relief goods (worth 45M yen)
Malaysia     Assorted relief goods (worth Php 4.7M)
New Zealand 17,065,000.00    
Singapore 1,670,000.00    
South Korea 8,266,000.00    
Spain   16,400,000.00  
Switzerland 26,814,000.00    
UNICEF     Hygiene kits, water containers (500 units each)
United Kingdom   22,200,000.00  
United States 4,085,000.00 404,415,000.00  
World Food Programme     High-energy biscuits (100 metric tons)

 

The donations were forwarded by the DFA to government agencies and private charitable institutions “to be spent or used in their respective relief efforts across the affected areas,” the department said.

Further contributions tmay be sent directly either to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, the Department of Social Welfare and Development or the Philippine Red Cross.

The death toll from a typhoon that devastated the southern Philippines earlier this month has topped 1,000 as hundreds more remain missing.

Estimated cost of damage is around P24 billion. – Rappler.com


Click on the links below for more updates on Typhoon Pablo:



Share the Christmas spirit by texting your donation. Rappler’s “Text to Help” campaign makes helping as easy as sending a text message.