Comelec reschedules activities for 2017 barangay, SK elections
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) rescheduled some activities related to the October 23 barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections.
This is to give the public "more time to prepare" for the barangay polls in case it wouldn't be postponed, said the Comelec in a statement on Tuesday, September 19.
But a postponement measure has already passed Congress, and is just awaiting President Rodrigo Duterte's signature to officially postpone the polls.
The Comelec en banc moved the start of the election period to October 1, from the original September 23 schedule. The election period will still run until October 30.
The new period for filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs) for barangay and SK bets is from October 5 to 11.
Meanwhile, the campaign period is now from October 12 to 22.
The effectivity of various election prohibitions will also be moved as a consequence, added the Comelec.
The gun ban, enforced during the election period, will also begin on October 1. But the Comelec said it will start receiving applications for gun ban exemption still on Thursday, September 21, as previously scheduled.
Less than a month before the polls, President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to sign a law that would formally postpone the barangay and SK elections.
On September 11, the House approved on 3rd reading a measure postponing the polls to May 2018. Then on September 20, the Senate okayed its counterpart measure, which the House adopted 5 days later. The bill was then sent to the President for his signature.
The polls are already postponed in Mindanao, however, due to martial law still in effect there, and the ongoing clashes between terrorists and government forces in Marawi City. – Rappler.com