Marilou Danley cleared in Las Vegas mass shooting
MANILA, Philippines – US authorities cleared "person of interest" Marilou Danley, who is said to have ties to Filipinos, in the mass shooting in a Las Vegas concert that killed at least 59 people.
"Ms Danley was not in the US at the time of the incident and is no longer a person of interest in the investigation," Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Robespierre Bolivar said on Tuesday, October 3.
Bolivar said this information was relayed by the Las Vegas sheriff's office.
Bolivar added that as of 9:30 am on Tuesday, there is "no official confirmation yet on her nationality, original or acquired."
"She was reported to have been in the Philippines at the time of the incident, but there are unconfirmed reports that she is no longer in the Philippines at this time," the DFA spokesman said.
Las Vegas police earlier identified Danley as a person of interest in the shooting incident, as she was a "companion" of the shooter, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock.
On her Facebook page, Danley described herself as a grandmother and mother, and her public profile showed pictures of her in various trips outside the United States, including the Philippines. The photos also had numerous comments in Filipino.
The DFA earlier sent its condolences to the victims of the mass shooting. It said it was also checking if Filipinos were among the casualties.
Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said the death toll had risen to 59, while 527 people had been injured, in the deadliest mass shooting in US history. – with reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com