CEBU CITY, Philippines – The Archdiocese of Cebu on Wednesday, October 18, urged the public to pray for the eternal repose of Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, whose wake will be at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral.
Monsignor Joseph Tan, spokesman of the Archdiocese of Cebu, said the first mass will be held at 8 pm Wednesday at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, the mother parish of the Archdiocese of Cebu, and the wake will be open to the public.
The mass will be celebrated by Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma.
Church and city traffic officials are holding a meeting to discuss the traffic plan around the cathedral in anticipation of huge crowds.
Tan told reporters that the cause of Vidal’s death Wednesday was septic shock, a serious medical condition that leads to a significant drop in blood pressure due to blood infection.
Vidal was rushed to the Perpetual Succour Hospital on October 11 due to fever and shortness of breath. Hours later, he collapsed and fell into a coma inside the hospital’s ICU.
On Friday, October 13, Vidal’s condition slightly improved as he opened his eyes. He was also responding to light and pain. On Monday, October 16, Vidal underwent a dialysis due to infection in his kidney.
“We were expecting for the worst to happen. But when death happens, it is still very hard to accept. Thanks be to God that our Cardinal died peacefully, there was no struggle,” Tan said.
A native of Mogpog, Marinduque, Vidal was appointed by Pope John Paul II as Coadjutor Archbishop of Cebu in 1981. He became Archbishop on August 24, 1982, succeeding Cardinal Julio Rosales.
Tan said Vidal chose to stay in Cebu even after his retirement on January 13, 2011.
Archbishop Palma immediately informed the Vatican about Vidal’s death through the Papal Nuncio in Manila, Tan said. Vidal will be interred in Cebu but the date has not been officially set.
Vidal’s brother, Juanito, 84, thanked the Cebuanos for showing their love to his “kuya”.
“Gusto ko sana ako ang mauna kasi alam ko marami pang magagawa si kuya dito sa Cebu, sa simbahan,” the teary-eyed Juanito told reporters. Juanito arrived in Cebu last week to attend to Vidal.
(I would have wanted to die ahead of him because I know kuya will be able to do a lot more here in Cebu, with the Church.)
The late Cardinal’s secretary, Fr. Joseph de Aquino, also mourned the passing of the prelate.
“His death is a big loss to all of us but he has done enough. He has given his best. He has given his all,” De Aquino said. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.