Fewer Filipinos expect Duterte to fulfill promises – SWS
MANILA, Philippines – The number of Filipinos who expect President Rodrigo Duterte to fulfill his promises dropped to just 35% in a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey conducted from September 23 to 27.
The survey results, released on Sunday, November 5, showed that only 8% believe Duterte can fulfill "all or nearly all" of his promises, while 27% think he can fulfill "most" of his promises, for a total of 35%.
The SWS said this is 17 points below the 52% (17% all or nearly all, 35% most) in the March 2017 survey.
Meanwhile, in the September 2017 survey, 57% answered "a few," and 6% said "none or almost none."
The respondents had been asked: "Sa inyong palagay, ilan sa mga pangako ni Pangulong Rody Duterte ang posibleng matutupad? [Lahat o halos lahat sa mga pangako, Karamihan sa mga pangako, Mga ilan sa mga pangako, Halos wala o wala sa mga pangako]."
(In your opinion, how many of the promises of President Rody Duterte can be fulfilled? [All or nearly all of the promises, Most of the promises, A few of the promises, Almost none or none of the promises].) (READ: 'Honeymoon' over, opposition says after drop in Duterte ratings)
Across areas, classes
The SWS said double-digit declines in all areas contributed to the 17-point overall drop in those saying Duterte can fulfill "all" or "most" of his promises.
Below is the breakdown per area:
- Mindanao – from 75% in March 2017 to 42% in September 2017 (33-point drop)
- Balance Luzon – from 45% in March 2017 to 34% in September 2017 (11-point drop)
- Metro Manila – from 45% in March 2017 to 32% in September 2017 (13-point drop)
- Visayas – from 49% in March 2017 to 31% in September 2017 (18-point drop)
In terms of socioeconomic class, declines were recorded as well, especially among the poor:
- Class ABC – from 49% in March 2017 to 42% in September 2017 (7-point drop)
- Class D – from 53% in March 2017 to 36% in September 2017 (17-point drop)
- Class E – from 51% in March 2017 to 29% in September 2017 (22-point drop)
Both men & women, all age groups
The declines were also reflected in the figures for both men and women:
- Men – from 52% in March 2017 to 36% in September 2017 (16-point drop)
- Women – from 54% in March 2017 to 34% in September 2017 (20-point drop)
All age groups registered drops as well:
- 18- to 24-year-olds – from 54% in March 2017 to 41% in September 2017 (13-point drop)
- 25- to 34-year-olds – from 52% in March 2017 to 44% in September 2017 (8-point drop)
- 35- to 44-year-olds – from 50% in March 2017 to 34% in September 2017 (16-point drop)
- 45- to 54-year-olds – from 57% in March 2017 to 32% in September 2017 (25-point drop)
- 55-year-olds and above – from 51% in March 2017 to 29% in September 2017 (22-point drop)
The survey was conducted through face-to-face interviews with 1,500 adults nationwide – 600 in Balance Luzon and 300 each in Metro Manila, the Visayas, and Mindanao.
The sampling error margins are ±3% for national percentages, ±4% for Balance Luzon, and ±6% each for Metro Manila, the Visayas, and Mindanao. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.