PH, Russia sign 8 agreements, including extradition treaty
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines and Russia have signed 8 bilateral agreements, including an extradition treaty, that are seen to further strengthen ties between the two countries.
President Rodrigo Duterte and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev witnessed the signing of the agreements after their bilateral meeting at the Coconut Palace late Monday night, November 13.
The bilateral agreements are the following:
- Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance on Criminal Matters
- Treaty on Extradition
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Cooperation between Department of Energy and State Atomic Energy Cooperation
- MOU on Development Cooperation in Transport Education
- MOU on Cooperation in Mass Communications
- MOU between Commission on Higher Education and Ministry of Education and Science
- MOU between Intellectual Property Office and Federation Office for Intellectual Property
- Agreement on Cooperation Between Commission on Audit and Accounts Chamber of Russian Federation
The two leaders also witnessed the signing of a business deal between the Philippines' Global Ferronickel Holdings Incorporated (FNI), and Russia's Vi Holding LLC.
When the two leaders talked about the case of Russians charged with drug smuggling in Manila, Duterte promised Medvedev that his citizens will get a "fair trial" and "fair treatment" in the Philippines.
President Rodrigo Duterte and Russian President Vladimir Putin met in Vietnam earlier, on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Leaders Summit on Friday, November 10. (READ: Duterte, Putin eye stronger PH-Russia defense cooperation, trade) – Rappler.com
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.