12 New Year fires recorded in Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines - At least 12 fire incidents were recorded in Metro Manila on New Year's eve, lower than the 21 recorded last year, data from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) in the National Capital Region (BFP-NCR) showed.
The total damage this year was estimated at P4 million, also lower compared to last year's P10 million.
There was no fatality, but a fire officer, identified as Fire Officer 2 Edgardo Medina, sustained minor injuries when he responded to a fire in Caloocan City.
Of the 12 fire incidents, 7 happened in residential areas, according to BFP-NCR regional director Santiago Laguna.
A sky lantern was believed to be the cause of a fire that gutted a residential area in Commenwealth, according to Laguna. Government banned the use of sky lanterns in residential areas.
The other fire incidents happened in Quezon City, Tondo, Manila and Marikina City.
A public bus caught fire at the corner of EDSA and Ermin Garcia Street in Quezon City. The fire was quickly put out.
The Amado V. Hernandez Elementary School in Tondo was gutted by fire early January 1. Investigation showed the fire started inside the property custodian office at the second floor of the two-story building. The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Laguna attributed the improvement to the efforts of his men in the BFP-NCR, particularly their quick response to fire calls amid the celebrations.
“I commend all the firefighters of NCR who performed their sworn duty of ensuring that everyone in the neighborhood is safe from the hazards of fire brought by these firecrackers,” he told reporters in a press conference on Tuesday, January 1.
The BFP said it will continue to push for its proposal to impose total ban on firecracker ban. - Rappler.com