CA confirms Alvarez, 6 other Duterte allies as colonels in AFP reserve corps
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Appointments (CA) confirmed the appointment of allies of President Rodrigo Duterte to the rank of Colonel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines' (AFP) reserve force.
It only took less than half an hour before the CA committee on national defense recommended the confirmation of the following for plenary:
- House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez - Colonel, Philippine Navy-Marines
- Senator Loren Legarda - Colonel, Philippine Air Force
- Senator Manny Pacquiao - Colonel, Philippine Army
- House Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas - Colonel, Judge Advocate General Service
- CA National Defense committee chair and Cavite 5th District Representative Roy Loyola - Colonel, Philippine Army
- Deputy Speaker and Cebu 3rd District Representative Gwendolyn Garcia - Colonel, Philippine Army
- Deputy Speaker and Maguindanao 1st District Representative Bai Sandra Sema - Colonel, Philippine Army
During the plenary, it was Senator Gregorio Honasan who moved for their confirmation, as the committee chair, Loyola, was among those in the lineup.
CA vice chairman and San Juan Representative Ronaldo Zamora seconded the motion and showed support for his colleagues in the House.
"These are the best and brightest that the august chamber can offer the Philippines," Zamora said.
Republic Act 7077 or the Citizen Armed Forces of the Philippines Reservist Act allows elected officials or presidential appointees to be commissioned in the Reserve Force "subject to the existing AFP rules and regulations."
The law also mandates "the utilization of the Reserve Force in times of emergency to meet threats to national security" through mobilization or auxiliary service.
Asked if he is ready to join the fight against terror, Alvarez said: "Kahit ngayon puwede tayong sumalang (Even now, we can do it)."
Failure of reservists to respond to the call to compulsory training or service shall be punishable in accordance with the Articles of War, and shall face imprisonment. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.