Ombudsman is investigating Paolo Duterte – Morales
MANILA, Philippines – Resigned Davao City vice mayor and presidential son Paolo Duterte is being investigated by the Office of the Ombudsman, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales revealed.
Morales answered a question at a justice forum on Tuesday, May 8, about the termination of a bank investigation involving President Rodrigo Duterte, saying it has been “closed and terminated without prejudice to another investigation if warranted.”
Asked a follow-up question about the first family, Morales replied: “I think it’s pending.”
Morales looked at the table of her deputies for confirmation and said: “It’s validated by the investigator.”
When asked to clarify later in an ambush interview who among the first family she was referring to, Morales said, “Sabi nila yung Vice Mayor (They said the vice mayor).”
When asked if it was Paolo Duterte, Morales said “yes”.
Morales refused to answer further questions on what the investigation on Paolo Duterte is all about. She also didn’t answer if it has something to do with the terminated bank investigation involving the President, and whether Paolo remained part of the case.
But a list obtained by reporters shows that as of January 12, 2018, there are 5 docketed cases against Paolo, including an ill-gotten wealth case.
- OMB-C-A-16-0073 For violation of Republic Act No. 6713 (Code of conduct and ethical standards)
- OMB-C-C-17-0081 For violation of Republic Act No. 3019 (Graft)
- OMB-C-F-16-0019 For violation of Republic Act No. 1379 (Forfeiture)
- OMB-C-A-16-0074 Conduct prejudicial to the Best Interest of the Service, Grave Misconduct, and serious dishonesty
- OMB-C-C-16-0082 For violation of Republic Act No. 3019 and Article 183 of the Revised Penal Code (perjury)
Of the 5 docketed cases, there are two cases for graft that are criminal in nature, there are two administrative cases, and one forfeiture case or the ill-gotten wealth case.
It is unclear if they all stem from the same issue, and if there are cases which have been dropped or resolved since January.
What is certain is there is still an ongoing investigation, as confirmed by Morales.
When asked about the cases on the list, Morales just reiterated that she has already inhibited.
Paolo resigned as vice mayor on December 25, 2017, citing family problems and the issue of P6.4-billion smuggled shabu that implicated him and his brother-in-law Manases Carpio. On May 2, the Office of the Ombudsman's special panel cleared Paolo and Carpio from the shabu case.
The shabu case is not part of the list because the shabu investigation against Paolo and Carpio never reached the preliminary investigation stage.
Docket numbers starting with OMB indicate cases in the preliminary investigation stage. Paolo and Carpio’s shabu investigation reached only the fact-finding level before they were dismissed. Fact-finding investigations begin with the docket number FF.
Duterte had earlier said he would resign from the presidency if any of his children are involved in corruption. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.