LOOK: Former Senate president Edgardo Angara’s last hours in Tagaytay
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – When news of the sudden death of former Senate president Edgardo Angara broke on Sunday, May 13, the shock must have been greater to a few friends from the law firm he founded.
The day before, Angara had his friends from ACCRA Law over for late afternoon snacks in his Tagaytay house, where he even showed off his "Art House," according to his son, Senator Juan Edgardo Angara.
The elder Angara died "from an apparent heart attack," his senator son had said. He was 83.
On Monday, May 14, the young senator shared with the media his father's last photos from Tagaytay, and an account of his last hours. We are publishing the timeline as is:
Saturday, 12 May 2018
- Left his Tagaytay rest house a bit past 10 am to attend the anniversary of ACCRA Law at Tagaytay Highlands.
- SEJA (Senator Edgardo Javier Angara) returned to his Tagaytay rest house at about 2:30 pm.
- At around 3:30 pm to 4 pm, his friends from the ACCRA Law anniversary, Attorney Lazatin, Senator and Mrs Franklin Drilon, Atty and Mrs Regala, and Atty Geraldez arrived at SEJA's Tagaytay rest house for "merienda cena." Atty and Mrs de Guzman followed at 7 pm.
- Senator and Mrs Drilon, Atty Lazatin, Atty & Mrs Regala and Atty. Geraldez left at almost 7 pm. Atty and Mrs de Guzman left at about 7:30. SEJA was in a jovial mood throughout the afternoon and evening. He even toured his guests around his Art House before sending them off.
- SEJA went to his bedroom to turn in at about 7:45PM.
Sunday, 13 May 2018
- According to his household staff, SEJA usually wakes up between 2:30 am to 3 am to perform his morning routine. However on this morning, oddly, he was not able to perform such.
- At about 7 am, his caregiver went to his room to offer breakfast, and SEJA replied a decline, saying he will sleep further.
- At about 8:30 am, a flush of the toilet from SEJA's bathroom was heard by his caregiver and security aid. At 9 am again a cough was heard from inside his room.
- At 10:30 am, the caregiver again went into SEJA's room to check on him. This was when the caregiver noticed that SEJA was not responsive anymore and she hurriedly tried to wake him up. With no response from SEJA, she then applied CPR. While CPR was being applied, simultaneously SEJA's vehicle was arranged by the driver for emergency transport to the hospital.
- SEJA was rushed to the Tagaytay Medical Center and arrived at 11:15 am. The hospital's medical team tried to revive SEJA, he was then declared dead.
Angara's wake will be held at chapels 6 to 9 of the Heritage Memorial Park in Taguig City until Friday, and is open to the public.
Angara’s interment will be on Tuesday, May 22, in Baler, Aurora. Public viewing in Baler starts Saturday, May 19. – Rappler.com