ALBAY, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) in the Bicol region suspended the proclamation of 7 winners in the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) and barangay elections for not meeting certain qualifications.
Assistant Regional Director Romeo Serrano said these winning candidates are from the provinces of Albay, Camarines Sur, and Catanduanes. They are:
- Ramon Christopher Sabdao Cielo, SK councilor, Barangay 34 Oro Site, Legazpi City
- Joel Arienda Bueno Jr, SK councilor, Bogtong, Rapu-Rapu, Albay
- Jose Solomon Sevilla Jr, SK chairperson, Barangay 111 Poblacion, Garchitorena, Camarines Sur
- Jemuel Belen Macinas, SK councilor, Bagangan Sr, Lupi, Camarines Sur
- May Jane Pasibe Lompero, barangay councilor, La Purisima, Nabua, Camarines Sur
- Walter Rojo Taniega, SK councilor, Barangay Quezon, Baras, Catanduanes
- John Paul Tating Torrente, SK chairperson of Putsan, Baras, Catanduanes
Serrano said the directive from the Comelec central office to suspend the proclamation of these winners did not cite the specific disqualifications, but it’s likely that the SK candidates were overaged (or over 24 years old) and that they, including the barangay candidate, had not established enough residency in the barangays where they ran.
During the period for filing of certificates of candidacy in any elections, it is ministerial for the Comelec to accept all submissions, before it will look into whether the candidates meet the requirements for the positions they are running for.
During a press briefing in Manila on Monday at 1 pm, the poll body said it was looking into a total of about 4,000 disqualification cases against barangay and SK candidates. By 7 pm, the Comelec announced it had suspended the proclamation of 639 candidates. (READ: Comelec won’t proclaim winning but unqualified barangay, SK bets)
Other than these, Serrano said, the 2018 barangay and SK elections were orderly and peaceful. Winning candidates across the region were proclaimed a day after the May 14 polls. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.