Cusi joins Villar in Duterte Cabinet 'billionaires' club' in 2017
MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi joined Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar in the "billionaires' club" of the Cabinet, based on their Statements of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALNs) in 2017.
According to the copies of 2017 SALNs obtained by Rappler on Tuesday, May 29, Cusi declared a net worth of P1,355,632,637.00 in 2017. This is a huge jump from P162,701,642.00 in 2016, or an increase of P1.19 billion.
In a text message sent to Rappler on Wednesday night, May 30, Department of Energy (DOE) spokesperson Felix William Fuentebella explained that the increase was "due to the sale of Starlite Ferries Incorporated (SFI) to Chelsea Logistics Corporation in November 2017."
"SFI is a family-owned and controlled corporation," Fuentebella said.
The Commission on Appointments wrote after Cusi's confirmation as DOE secretary in October 2016 that he was also involved in holding company Double Concept Investments Ltd before he joined the Duterte Cabinet.
Villar, meanwhile, declared a net worth of P1,407,459,436.00. This is P1.69 million lower than his 2016 net worth of P1,409,149,497.00.
Villar is the son of former senator Manny Villar and incumbent Senator Cynthia Villar. The family owns real estate conglomerate Vista Land & Lifescapes Incorporated and shopping center developer Starmalls Incorporated.
Meanwhile, National Anti-Poverty Commission Chairperson Liza Maza is the least wealthy Cabinet official, with a net worth of P1,186,500.00, up from P730,716.00 in 2016.
Below is the net worth of Cabinet officials, based on the SALNs released by the Malacañang Records Office (MRO) as of Tuesday:
Dominguez was also a businessman when he was chosen as finance secretary. He once chaired Philippine Airlines and RCBC Capital Corporation, among other companies. His family owns several businesses in Davao City, including the Marco Polo Hotel.
Cusi and Dominguez also headed various government agencies in previous administrations.
Meanwhile, Tugade was president and chief executive officer of Clark Development Corporation prior to his appointment as transportation secretary.
Rounding up the top 5 richest Cabinet members is Andanar, a former news anchor and radio commentator. He declared real properties worth P74.7 million and personal assets worth P105.8 million. He also listed shares of stocks in 8 companies.
The SALNs of the following Cabinet and Cabinet-level officials for 2017 are not yet available from the MRO:
- Interior and Local Government OIC Eduardo Año
- Agrarian Reform Acting Secretary John Castriciones
- Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Michael Dino
- Budget and Management Secretary Benjamin Diokno
- Cabinet Secretary Leoncio Evasco Jr
- Special Assistant to the President Bong Go
- Social Welfare and Development OIC Emmanuel Leyco
- Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea
- Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo
- Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
- Political Adviser Francis Tolentino
- Mindanao Development Authority Secretary Datu Abul Khayr Dangcal Alonto
- National Commission on Muslim Filipinos Secretary Yasmin Busran-Lao
- Commission on Higher Education Chairman Prospero de Vera III
- Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council Secretary Eduardo del Rosario
- Commission on Filipinos Overseas OIC Maria Regina Galias
- Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Chairman Danilo Lim
– with a report from Pia Ranada/Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.