IN PHOTOS: Flash floods hit Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines – Flash floods hit parts of Metro Manila on Thursday, June 21, as a thunderstorm brought heavy rain.
A thunderstorm is a weather system that affects only certain areas at a time and usually lasts up to two hours. It brings moderate to heavy rain, thunder, and lightning. (READ: FAST FACTS: Tropical cyclones, rainfall advisories)
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), on its Twitter account, said flash floods hit the following areas and left them impassable:
- Araneta Avenue-Victory northbound and southbound
- Quezon Boulevard-España between Lacson and Blumentritt eastbound and westbound
- Rizal Avenue-R Papa northbound and southbound
- Panay Avenue between Scout Albano and Sergeant Esguerra
- EDSA Pasong Tamo southbound and northbound
- Quezon Avenue-Biak na Bato eastbound and westbound
Due to the rain and the flash floods, rush hour traffic worsened further on Thursday.
Below are more photos of the flooding.
United Nations Avenue, Manila
Elliptical Road corner Kalayaan Avenue, Quezon City