The mining forum on Friday, March 2, will be remembered for the love-triangle-on-display among Regina Lopez (of the fabled Lopez clan behind giants ABS-CBN and First Philippine Holdings), Gerardo Brimo (of Nickel Asia and the industry chamber), and Manuel V. Pangilinan (of giants PLDT, Metro Pacific’s mega infrastructure projects, and Philex Mining).
Lopez and Brimo exchanged I-love-you’s, while Pangilinan accused Lopez of “lying” as almost 600 of the country’s well-heeled packed a hotel ballroom while thousands tuned in to livestreaming or participated on social media via Twitter’s #WhyMining.
The main impact of the forum, however, is on the Aquino government’s next moves on the mining industry. How will it balance the positions of both sides in its upcoming new mining policy?
For the existing mining contracts in the Philippines, view this #WhyMining map.
How does mining affect you? Are you pro or against mining? Engage, discuss & take a stand! Visit Rappler’s #WhyMining microsite for the latest stories on issues affecting the mining sector. Join the conversation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org your views on the issue.
For other views on mining, read:
|Yes to Mining||No to Mining|
More on #WhyMining:
- Shaping the future of mining
- EO: No new mining contracts
- The Mining EO: A mixed bag
- Mining E.O. not perfect, but very good
- CONVERSATIONS: What are your thoughts on the mining EO? #WhyMining
- Mining E.O. pits gov’t vs local execs
- Correcting lies and disinformation
- Stand for the environment
- How can mining work for Philippines?
- Mining is a social justice issue
- REPLAY: #WHYMINING