MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana was not consulted by President Rodrigo Duterte before the latter signed Proclamation No. 572, which voided the amnesty of mutineer-turned-senator Antonio Trillanes IV.
Lorenzana disclosed this to reporters in Camp Aguinaldo on Monday, September 10.
“Did the President consult you before he signed Proclamation 572?” a reporter asked.
“No, I was not,” Lorenzana, who has administrative supervision over the armed forces, replied even before the question ended. (READ: Analysis: Don’t mess with the miltary)
Duterte’s proclamation ordered the military to pursue all criminal charges against Trillanes and help in arresting him, prompting the senator to stay in his Senate office since September 5, when the news broke on the voiding of his amnesty.
Duterte’s proclamation also caused the military to announce last week that it convened a general court martial against Trillanes. It was not clear if Lorenzana was also not consulted on this.
Lorenzana refused to comment on the validity of Duterte’s controversial proclamation, pointing out that it is already up for debate before the Supreme Court.
He said, however, that Solicitor General Jose Calida asked for the amnesty papers of 100 other ex-mutineers who belong to the so-called “Trillanes group”.
In the same impromptu press conference Monday, Lorenzana confirmed that Calida called him personally for Trillanes’ “amnesty records” 15 days before the proclamation was signed. He said Calida did not say why he was making such as request. (READ: Without saying why, Calida called Lorenzana for Trillanes’ records)
Defense and military documents obtained by Rappler showed Trillanes complied with amnesty requirements.
Former Navy officer Trillanes is one of the harshest critics of the Duterte administration.
News broke of Trillanes’ amnesty revocation hours before the senator was set to lead a Senate panel probe into the questioned multimillion contracts procured by Calida’s security firm, Vigilant Investigative and Security Agency. – Rappler.com
Follow the developments here:
- PNP: Nobody in ‘right mind’ would arrest Trillanes without court warrant
- IBP hits DOJ for ‘mischief’ in Trillanes case
- Without saying why, Calida called Lorenzana for Trillanes’ amnesty records
- Why send CIDG to Senate? ‘We were being proactive,’ says PNP
- Trillanes eyes probe into multibillion projects ‘awarded’ to Bong Go’s family
- Trillanes will not leave Senate anytime soon: ‘I won’t fall into Duterte trap’
- Other amnesty certificates signed by Gazmin may be questioned – Roque
- Still no warrant, as judge tells DOJ to give Trillanes due process
- Calida asked for amnesty records of ‘100’ other ex-mutineers
- DOJ hands off on other Trillanes cases for now
- How can rebel groups trust gov’t negotiations again? – Alejano
- [WRAP | Day 1] Duterte voiding Trillanes’ amnesty: Everything you need to know
- [WRAP | Day 2] Trillanes gets relief from court, DOJ seeks options
- [WRAP | Day 3] Looming Trillanes arrest jolts PH from sleep
- [WRAP | Day 4] Trillanes stays in Senate, Duterte changes tune on warrantless arrest
- [WRAP | Day 5] Family stands by Trillanes as Duterte slams senator
- [WRAP | Day 6] AFP chief Galvez, Honasan push for rule of law in Trillanes case
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.