Coup talk again

Rappler.com
Recruitment efforts within the Armed Forces of the Philippines have been unsuccessful, says Sen Trillanes

COUP TALK. Some retired military officers allied with the former administration are recruiting active soldiers to join a plan to oust President Aquino, Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV said. Photo from www.trillanes.com.ph

MANILA, Philippines – They’re retired but apparently not tired.

If this former coup plotter is to be believed, some retired military officers allied with the previous administration are now busy recruiting active-duty soldiers to join a plot to unseat President Benigno Aquino III.

Sen Antonio Trillanes IV told reporters on Monday, March 5, that officers who are being recruited reported this supposed plot to him.

Asked who are the people behind it, Trillanes only said, “Ito ‘yong mga natanggal sa poder ng kapangyarihan na gustong bumalik.”(These are officers who lost power and would like to get their positions back.)

Trillanes said the recruiters have been agitating soldiers about supposed communist infiltration of government.

A number of key left-wing personalities have been named in government positions, and the government is also holding peace talks with the communist-led National Democratic Front.

Several generals have also been bypassed by more junior officers in key senior positions in the Armed Forces. These generals are closely associated with former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

The senator hastened to add, however, that the agitators have not been successful.

Trillanes himself led a botched mutiny in 2003 in the former Oakwood hotel in Makati. The Arroyo government put him in jail and kept him there despite his senatorial win in 2007.

Trillanes was released by President Aquino in 2010.

President Aquino himself bared a plot to oust him in a speech before the Presidential Security Group last week. – Rappler.com



Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.