Duterte declares state of calamity in CAR, Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon
MANILA, Philippines – To aid relief and rehabilitation efforts in areas struck by Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut), President Rodrigo Duterte declared a state of calamity in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, and Central Luzon.
He signed Proclamation No. 593 on Tuesday, September 25, but the document was made publicly available on Thursday, September 27.
The proclamation is based on the recommendation of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, which assessed the impact of Ompong on the regions – including widespread damage to agriculture and utilities, loss of livelihood, and percentage of population affected.
A state of calamity is meant to hasten relief and rehabilitation efforts by local governments in the regions covered by the proclamation.
The following will now take effect given Duterte's proclamation:
- Imposition of price ceiling on basic necessities and prime commodities
- Monitoring, prevention, and control of overpricing/profiteering and hoarding of prime commodities, medicines, and petroleum products
- Programming or reprogramming of funds for the repair and safety upgrading of public infrastructure and facilities
- Granting of no-interest loans by government financing or lending institutions to the most affected section of the population
- Access to international assistance as deemed necessary
- Allowing negotiated procurement under Republic Act No. 9184 or the Government Procurement Reform Act
#PresidentDuterte declares state of calamity in Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region to aid relief, rehab efforts post-Ompong. @rapplerdotcom pic.twitter.com/GmukJAXg52— Pia Ranada (@piaranada) September 27, 2018
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.