Retrieval operations end at Itogon landslide site
All of the missing were accounted for on Sunday, after the retrieval of two more unidentified bodies at Portal 07 in Barangay Ucab.
A total of 94 people have now been confirmed dead in the municipality of Itogon, after Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) triggered deadly landslides. The fatalities came from 6 barangays:
- Ucab - 68
- Loacan - 18
- Poblacion - 4
- Ampucao - 2
- Dalupirip - 1
- Virac - 1
In the entire province of Benguet, the number of fatalities has reached 100. There are still 6 missing in the barangays of Loacan and Virac.
There are also still 2 missing in Barangay Guisad Surong in Baguio City.
In the whole Cordillera Administrative Region, there are now 120 dead. Aside from the 100 fatalities in Benguet, 13 died in Baguio City; 6 in Bontoc, Mountain Province; and 1 in Pasil, Kalinga. – Rappler.com
Read more stories from Rappler's coverage of the Itogon landslide:
- In Itogon, sister volunteers to dig beneath the soil to look for brother
- IN PHOTOS: The Itogon mining community before and after Ompong
- Why mine despite landslide scare? 'Doon lang kami umaasa'
- FAST FACTS: What to know about Itogon, Benguet
- Itogon women trek a mountain to feed families as men dig for missing
- After tragic landslide, mayor says Itogon to transition to farming
- Rescuers of Itogon: No surrender until all bodies found
- LIST: Deadly landslides in the Philippines
- Itogon tragedy: Disaster response gone wrong
- Itogon tragedy: When the land of promise buried its people
- Twin tragedies: How Itogon and Naga landslides are alike
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.