LIVE: Senate hearing on P11B worth shabu slipping past Customs
MANILA, Philippines – The Senate blue ribbon committee continues on Tuesday, October 30, its probe into the P11-billion worth of shabu (methamphetamine), which slipped past the Bureau of Customs (BOC) in July.
Since the last hearing on the controversy, Customs chief Isidro Lapeña has been removed from his post to take a Cabinet position, and the missing illegal drugs are now suspected to be as heavy as 1.618 tons worth up to P11 billion, the estimates up from P6.8 billion.
The controversy has pushed President Rodrigo Duterte to order a military takeover of the BOC after its personnel were accused of being deep in corruption over the years.
This is so far the biggest smuggling controversy to hit the administration of President Duterte, with the probe conducted just months before the campaign starts for the 2019 midterm elections.
Watch the hearing live on Rappler at 10 am, Tuesday. – Rappler.com
Read related stories here:
- Lapeña no-show in Senate P11-B shabu probe
- Gordon to Malacañang: Clarify role of military in Customs
- Mangaoang applies for witness protection program
- After 7 weeks in Senate, Jimmy Guban to be turned over to DOJ
- Cop in Duterte matrix denies drug links
- Guban 'tells all': Ex-cop behind billion-peso shabu shipments