WATCH: Surviving the busiest road in the PH during Traslacion
MANILA, Philippines – It is the ground zero of the Feast of the Black Nazarene—and so much more.
Every January 9, Quezon Boulevard is the busiest thoroughfare in the Philippines as it bisects the most important religious sites for the annual procession.
On its one side is the home of the Black Nazarene, the Quiapo Church, which faces the historical Plaza Miranda. Flanking it on the other side is the area of the San Sebastian Church, another important destination for the Traslacion.
Vehicles are shunned to the sides for the endless flow of hundreds of thousands of devotees. Unmoving are the replicas of the Balck Nazarene images and the kiosks of impassioned food and relic vendors. Songs of devotion blast from the speakers of the Quiapo Church.
Despite the threat of heat and rain in this field of skin and sweat, devotees move forward with their prayers.
Rambo Talabong files this report. – Rappler.com
- IN PHOTOS: Thousands join Black Nazarene thanksgiving procession
- Pray for Duterte, says Quiapo priest ahead of Nazareno 2019
- City of Manila suspends classes on January 9 for Nazareno 2019
- IN PHOTOS: Thousands bless replicas of Black Nazarene statue
- WATCH: Black Nazarene devotees seek blessings during procession of replicas
- Cops, volunteers among first to join 'Pahalik' for Nazareno 2019
- IN PHOTOS: Security tightened on eve of Traslacion of Nazareno 2019
- Traslacion 2019 begins as Tagle defends devotees
- IN PHOTOS: First 12 hours of Traslacion 2019
- Waiting for Nazareno: The mood in a sea of people
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.