WATCH: Walking towards Mary and Jesus during Traslacion
MANILA, Philippines – It is not yet midnight but devotees of the Black Nazarene know that to catch a glimpse of Mary and Jesus in the San Sebastian Church means half the work is waiting.
Considered a highlight of the day-long procession, the Image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel meets the Image of the Black Nazarene outside the San Sebastian church for the "Dungaw."
The meeting commemorates the moment when Mary met a suffering Jesus on his way to Calvary.
To get to San Sebastian, devotees coming from the Quiapo church cross crowded streets carrying with them their prayers. Each step another chance to receive blessing from blessed replicas of the Black Nazarene statue.
Once in front of the San Sebastian Church, devotees will stake their claim on spots they took a day to walk towards.
Sofia Tomacruz files this report. – Rappler.com
- IN PHOTOS: Thousands join Black Nazarene thanksgiving procession
- Pray for Duterte, says Quiapo priest ahead of Nazareno 2019
- City of Manila suspends classes on January 9 for Nazareno 2019
- IN PHOTOS: Thousands bless replicas of Black Nazarene statue
- WATCH: Black Nazarene devotees seek blessings during procession of replicas
- Cops, volunteers among first to join 'Pahalik' for Nazareno 2019
- IN PHOTOS: Security tightened on eve of Traslacion of Nazareno 2019
- Traslacion 2019 begins as Tagle defends devotees
- IN PHOTOS: First 12 hours of Traslacion 2019
- Waiting for Nazareno: The mood in a sea of people