WATCH: Rappler's cyber libel case in a nutshell
MANILA, Philippines – Rappler faces a cyber libel complaint filed by businessman Wilfredo Keng, stemming from an investigative report published in May 2012.
Keng filed his complaint in October 2017, more than 5 years after Rappler's story was published. For libel, cases should be filed within one year.
Rappler merely corrected a typographical error in the story in February 2014. No substantial changes were made.
In addition, the Anti-Cybercrime Act was signed into law only in September 2012, months after the story was published. Laws are not retroactive. – Rappler.com
More on Rappler's cyber libel case:
- TIMELINE: Rappler's cyber libel case
- FAQs: What you need to know about Rappler's cyber libel case
- Rappler CEO Maria Ressa arrested for cyber libel
- NBI detains journalist Maria Ressa for the night
- Maria Ressa posts P100,000 bail for cyber libel
- Rappler statement on Maria Ressa's arrest: 'We will continue to tell the truth'
- Maria Ressa charges DOJ with 'selective justice'
- Maria Ressa arrest tests the bounds of Philippine cyber libel law
- 'Persecution by a bully government': Journalists, advocates slam arrest of Maria Ressa
- Robredo slams Maria Ressa's arrest as 'political harassment'
- Duterte denies involvement in Maria Ressa cyber libel case
- Senators question use of PCOO caravan in Europe to explain Maria Ressa arrest
- U.N. rights office: Maria Ressa arrest latest in 'pattern of intimidation' vs Rappler
- U.N. special rapporteur condemns detention of Maria Ressa
- Maria Ressa's arrest part of broader gov't campaign, say rights groups
- 'Truth will set you free': Schools hit arrest of Rappler CEO Maria Ressa
- In rare move, U.S. stresses need for due process in Maria Ressa case
- Canada 'deeply troubled' by Maria Ressa arrest
- U.K. 'deeply concerned' by Maria Ressa arrest
- After Maria Ressa's arrest, netizens decry 'desperate move to silence' press
- Amid Maria Ressa's arrest, UP Fair 2019 urges: 'Defend press freedom'
- [ANALYSIS | Deep Dive] Maria Ressa case and the big chill
- [OPINION | NEWSPOINT] The ambush of Maria Ressa