[TIMELINE] Sabah’s bloody Friday


This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

A timeline of the events that transpired on Friday, March 1, 2013, when Malaysian security forces assaulted a group of Filipinos holed up in Sabah

MANILA, Philippines – After 17 days, Malaysia on Friday, March 1, declared an end to the 17-day standoff instigated by followers of the Sultan of Sulu in Lahud Datu, Sabah. But it came with a price. And the Sultan’s followers claim it’s not over yet.

Throughout the day, various camps issued conflicting reports on the status of the conflict in Sabah. In the end, one thing was clear: shots were fired and lives were lost. 

Rappler traces the sequence of events that transpired on Friday, March 1. 

10:00 am – News breaks that Malaysian forces have started shooting Filipinos who were holed up in Sabah. 

SULU RULER. Sultan Jamalul Kiram III told reporters on Friday, February 22 in the Taguig Blue Mosque that followers had a right to remain in Sabah because his sultanate still had sovereignty over the Malaysian state. AFP Photo/Noel Celis

In an interview on DZRH, the group’s leader, Rajah Mudah Kiram, brother of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, said: “Nagbabarilan na! Oo, nagbabarilan na!”

The radio station, through its Twitter account, noted gunshots were heard during the interview. 

But Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Raul Hernandez could not confirm the report.

Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, although admitting he has not received verified reports, sounds upset in a DZMM interview, saying: “Eh matigas kasi ang ulo,” referring to the family of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III. (Because they’re hard-headed.)

12:30 pm – The spokesman of Kiram holds a press conference in Taguig and says at least 10 people were killed and 4 wounded in the assault 

'10 DEAD.' Led by Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, the Sultanate of Sulu says 10 Filipinos died in Sabah after an alleged exchange of gunshots. Photo by Jerald Uy

Spokesman Abraham Idjirani also claimed that one of the casualties is a woman, and that Malaysian security sent snipers to raid the area.

In a report in the Star of MalaysiaMalaysian Primer Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is quoted as saying that the Sultan’s followers must leave: “The group must realize that what they are doing is a serious offense and I hope they will accept the offer to leave peacefully as soon as possible.” 

As conflicting reports persist, the administration’s senatorial bets proceeded to campaign in Pampanga and expressed their support for President Benigno Aquino III, who was then on his way to the province to guest at Team PNoy’s sortie.  

1:00 pm – Malaysia denies firing the first shot

Through his Twitter account, Malaysia’s Home Affairs Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said that Malaysian security forces “have not taken a single shot.”

In an interview with Malaysia’s The Star, Hishammuddin declared the deadline for Kiram’s followers to leave Sabah had already expired. He also denied the Sulu Sultanate’s claim that up to 10 people died during the incident. He said there were “zero” casualties. 

2:00 pm – Palace says there was no firefight and no deaths, adding that only warning shots were fired 

In an interview aired on PTV4, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte echoed Hishammuddin’s statement that there were zero casualties. She said no firefight occurred and that Malaysian security forces only fired warning shots. 

Una, ang gusto po nating klaruhin ay wala hong naging gunfight or naging firefight. Pangalawa, may nagpaputok po ng warning shot at na-detain po ‘yung dalawang taong ito ngunit ang imporrmasyon natin ay pinabalik na rin po sila (First, we want to stress that there was no firefight. Second, someone fired a warning shot and these two people were detained but they were immediately released),” Valte said. 

2:00 pm – Aquino arrives in Pampanga and monitors the Sabah situation while campaigning with Team PNoy 

A file photo of the administration's senatorial slate

On stage, Aquino apologizes to the crowd for constantly leaving the stage. He also cuts short his visit to Pampanga.

Pasensiya na ho kayo kung kanina paakyat-baba ako ng entablado. Alam naman po ninyo na may nangyayari sa Sabah. Mukhang natapos na po yung pangyayari. (Forgive me. You know that there’s something going on in Sabah. It looks like the incident is over).” He added: “Hindi pa ho kumpleto ang detalye. Medyo nagmamadali ho tayo pabalik dahil inaasahan natin na pagdating natin sa opisina ay handa na po -‘yung kumpleto yung impormasyon. Alam na po nating yung nangyari nang may katiyakan at naasikaso lahat ng dapat maasikaso. (I don’t have the complete details. I expect that once I return to Manila I would be getting the complete details of what happened in Sabah and that we would have fixed things that needed fixing.)

3:00 pm – Malaysia, through a statement of the Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs, reports that only 3 people died from the encounter

Although Sulu Sultanate spokesman Abraham Idjirani insisted that 10 died from the incident, Malaysian Ambassador to Manila Dato Mohd Zamri Kassim, in a meeting with Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, reported that only 3 died — the owner of the house where the Kirams stayed and two members of the Malaysian security forces.

Kassim added that one Malaysian cop was wounded while 10 followers of the Sultan of Sulu have surrendered to Malaysian authorities. 

With this development, Malaysia declared the 17-day standoff in Sabah over. 

4:00 pm – The Philippines formally asks the Malaysian government to explain what happened in Lahud Datu

DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez said the Philippines issued a note verbale asking Malaysia for a full report on the assault.

4:30 pm – The sultan’s spokesman tells reporters that 100 Filipinos in Sabah had been arrested, signalling the start of a “crackdown.”

7:00 pm – Malaysia finally admits that 12 Filipinos were killed in the firefight

Sabah state police chief Hamza Taib confirmed that 12 “intruders,” who ventured out of their base died during the encounter, according to a report published by Malaysia’s The Star

Prime Minister Najib Razak said two Malaysian police officers were also killed in the encounter while 3 others were wounded. Najib was quoted as saying that he was “very sad” over the incident but now there was “no grace period for the group to leave.” 

8:00 pm – Malacañang concedes the standoff is not over given the presence of Malaysian security forces and Kiram’s followers in Sabah. The Aquino administration makes another appeal to the Kiram family to return to the Philippines. compiled by Angela Casauay/Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI
Download the Rappler App!