Magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes off Occidental Mindoro
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A magnitude 5.5 earthquake struck off Rizal town in Occidental Mindoro on Saturday morning, May 4.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in its earthquake bulletin that the tremor, which was tectonic in origin, struck west of Rizal town at 9:05 am on Saturday.
The following intensities were recorded:
- Intensity III - Lipa City, Batangas; Malay, Aklan
- Intensity II - San Nicolas, Batangas; City of Manila
- Intensity IV - San Jose, Occidental Mindoro
- Intensity III - Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro
- Intensity II - Tagaytay City; Malinao, Aklan; Sebaste and Culasi, Antique; Calatagan, Batangas
- Intensity I - Talisay, Batangas; Dolores and Mauban, Quezon
Aftershocks were recorded but no damage had been reported as of posting, as anticipated by Phivolcs. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.