67 container vans of Canada garbage remain in Subic port
ZAMBALES, Philippines – Not a single container van that is loaded with garbage from Canada has left the Subic Bay Freeport almost a week after the May 15 deadline by the Philipine government.
The Canadian government's failure to ship back its 103 containers of trash from the Philippines has already prompted the Duterte administration to recall its Philippine ambassador and consuls to Ottawa.
Customs officials said 67 container vans of Canada garbage are still being kept at the Subic Bay International Terminal Corporation inside this freeport.
Wilma Eisma, Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority chairperson and administrator, said an official of the Bureau of Customs told her that Canada has already designated a cargo forwarder that will transport the containers back to Canada.
But Eisma said the cargo forwarder commissioned by Canada is still evaluating the containers.
The Canadian government had earlier committed to ship back the garbage from Philippine soil and to shoulder the costs of doing so.
Last April 23, Duterte threatened “war” against Canada if they did not remove the container vans of garbage from the Philippines. He also threatened to send back the garbage himself.
Customs officials were given May 15 as the deadline to return the containers to Canada but this has not been followed. – Rappler.com