Cynthia Villar still richest senator in 2018
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Cynthia Villar is still the country's richest senator, with her already huge net worth getting even bigger in 2018.
Based on the summary of 2018 Statements of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALNs) posted on the Senate website, Villar reported a net worth of P3,719,941,858 and zero liabilities. This was P108.7 million higher than her net worth of P3.61 billion in 2017, making her the senator with the highest wealth increase in 2018.
In 2019, her husband, former senator and House speaker Manny Villar, was declared the richest man in the Philippines, boasting a net worth of $5.5 billion (around P287 billion), from 2018's $3 billion.
The Villar family owns the Philippines' biggest home builder Vista Land and shopping-center developer Starmalls. They also own Golden Bria Holdings, a housing and condominium developer.
Villar topped the 2019 senatorial elections, with more than 25 million votes. (READ: The rise of Cynthia Villar: How politics, money, networks made her No. 1)
Manny Pacquiao is still the second richest senator, with a declared net worth of P3,005,808,000 in 2018 – P59.5 million higher than his net worth of P2.946 billion in 2017.
Villar and Pacquiao are the only billionaires in the Senate in the 17th Congress.
Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte's two fiercest critics – senators Antonio Trillanes IV and Leila de Lima – have the lowest net worth in the Senate.
Trillanes declared a net worth of P7,533,012.10 in 2018 – higher than the P6.87 million in 2017.
De Lima declared a net worth of P7,706,392.45 in 2018. This is lower than her declared net worth of P7.94 million in 2017.
Of all the senators, only De Lima, Risa Hontiveros, and Nancy Binay had a decrease in their net worth for 2018. De Lima's net worth decreased by P238,581.24, Hontiveros by P569,489.67, and Binay by P480,224.
Here's the list of senators, ranked by their declared 2018 net worth:
- Cynthia Villar – P3,719,941,858.00
- Manny Pacquiao – P3,005,808,000.00
- Ralph Recto – P555,324,479.82
- Juan Miguel Zubiri – P182,851,570.34
- Juan Edgardo Angara – P135,840,710.00
- Joseph Victor Ejercito – P132,820,345.73
- Franklin Drilon – P97,726,758.00
- Sherwin Gatchalian – P96,210,607.14
- Grace Poe – P93,039,921.54
- Richard Gordon – P71,285,178.56
- Vicente Sotto III – P70,120,700.30
- Nancy Binay – P60,132,461.00
- Loren Legarda – P56,290,602.11
- Paolo Benigno Aquino IV – P45,205,138.25
- Panfilo Lacson – P42,442,341.00
- Aquilino Pimentel III – P28,662,212.00
- Joel Villanueva – P26,921,555.00
- Gregorio Honasan II – P25,882,099.00
- Francis Pangilinan – P16,695,048.17
- Risa Hontiveros – P15,627,176.04
- Francis Escudero – P10,575,228.00
- Leila de Lima – P7,706,392.45
- Antonio Trillanes IV – P7,533,012.10