15 more Filipinos repatriated from Libya – DFA
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines has repatriated 15 more Filipinos from Libya as of Wednesday, May 29, as battle for control of Libya's capital has killed more than 560 people and wounded over 2,800 others.
In a statement around 9 pm on Wednesday, the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said the new repatriates "bring to 70 the number of those who have been assisted in returning to the Philippines since the current crisis in Libya broke out almost two months ago."
The DFA said this is "the biggest batch to be assisted by the Philippine embassy in Tripoli" under the repatriation program undertaken by the DFA and the Department of Labor and Employment. This batch includes 5 minors and 2 Islamic scholars, said the DFA.
Elmer Cato, the Philippines' chargè d'affaires and head of mission in Libya, said the repatriates "are now en route to Tunis where they will board their connecting flight to Manila via Dubai." They will arrive in Manila on Thursday afternoon, May 30.
"The embassy, at the same time, reiterated its appeal to the more than 1,000 other Filipinos still in Tripoli to accept the government's repatriation offer because of intensified fighting in the immediate outskirts of the capital," said the DFA.
Raising Alert Level 4 in Libya, the DFA earlier ordered the evacuation of more than 1,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Tripoli and surrounding areas as fighting rages for control of Libya's capital.
The DFA states that Alert Level 4 means "evacuation/mandatory repatriation." This alert level is issued "when there is large-scale internal conflict or full-blown external attack."
The alert level covers Tripoli and "other areas within a 100-kilometer radius from the capital." The DFA said this alert level was raised "after a number of Filipinos suddenly found themselves in the middle of fierce fighting" on April 29.
The toll from the armed conflict in #Tripoli, #Libya is now 562 dead, including 40 civilians, and 2855 wounded, including 106 civilians. Last week's deaths included two health workers traveling in ambulances.— World Health Organization in Libya (@WHOLIBYA) May 27, 2019
People saving lives are #NotATarget. pic.twitter.com/R2yQLf5yfK
The World Health Organization said on Monday, May 27, that the armed conflict in Libya has killed at least 562 people and wounded 2,855 others. – Rappler.com