Locsin hits 'collision' of Philippine, Chinese vessels
MANILA, Philippines – Foreign Secretary Teodoro "Teddyboy" Locsin Jr condemned the abandonment of a Filipino crew after a Chinese vessel recently sank a Filipino vessel in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
Locsin said he takes his cue from Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, who announced on Wednesday, June 12, that a Chinese fishing vessel recently sank a Filipino vessel near Recto Bank in the West Philippine Sea.
"I take my cue from Defense Sec. Lorenzana. What is contemptible and condemnable is the abandonment of the crew to the elements," said Locsin in a tweet Wednesday evening.
Locsin also said that Vietnam's rescue of the Filipino crew "will be the basis of enhanced Vietnam-Philippines military cooperation."
He added: "And by the way I just fucking landed in Geneva. I've been airborne. I am awaiting a West Philippine Sea task force report. My reaction thus far relies exclusively on Defense Secretary Lorenzana. I can't rely on media; it'd be irresponsible to rely only on media."
The collision, which left 22 Filipino fishermen "to the mercy of the elements," took place on Saturday, June 9.
Lorenzana said they "condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly action of the Chinese vessel and its crew for abandoning the Filipino crew." – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel's sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: 'Fuck the international community'
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice'
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel