China envoy vows probe into Philippine boat sinking
MANILA, Philippines – Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua vowed a thorough probe into the alleged sinking of a Philippine boat by a Chinese vessel in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
Zhao made this promise in a text message to Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo, who shared it to the media Thursday night, June 13.
"The fishing boat issue is being thoroughly and seriously investigated. We share your concerns about fishermen. If it were true that it was a Chinese fishing boat which did it, they would be duly educated and punished for their irresponsible behavior," Zhao said.
He added: "Incidents happen even in the best regulated family. We hope this incident could be held in a proper context."
Panelo said Zhao sent him this text message in response to his earlier statement "condemning the Chinese ship for abandoning the Filipino vessel crew." (READ: Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking)
Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang earlier downplayed the boat sinking as "an ordinary maritime traffic accident." He also said it was irresponsible for the Philippines to "politicize the incident without verification."
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana came out swinging on Wednesday, June 12, when he condemned a Chinese vessel "in the strongest terms" for allegedly sinking a Philippine boat in the West Philippine Sea.
A day later, Lorenzana suddenly became unsure, and said the Philippine government is investigating if the vessel was Chinese in the first place.
While his spokesman had issued statement on the incident, President Rodrigo Duterte was untypically quiet on the matter, not mentioning it in any of his 3 speeches on Thursday, June 13. – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel's sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin hits ‘collision’ of Philippine, Chinese vessels
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: 'Fuck the international community'
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice'
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel
- WATCH: Crew of Philippine vessel rammed by Chinese ship on their way home
- Occidental Mindoro town mayor to Duterte: Let's speak out against China
- Navy rebuffs China: PH boat sinking ‘not normal accident’
- Lacson, De Lima call for punitive action vs China and its fishermen
- Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home
- Captain of abandoned PH boat: I'm sure Chinese ship sank us
- Recto Bank: Why China covets what belongs to the Philippines
- Crew of sunken Philippine boat now home
- Arroyo defends Duterte response to Philippine boat sinking