Arroyo defends Duterte response to Philippine boat sinking
MANILA, Philippines – Former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo defended the response of President Rodrigo Duterte after a Chinese vessel sank a Philippine boat near Recto Bank (Reed Bank) in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).
In an interview with ANC, Arroyo said Duterte and Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr have taken the "right approach."
Arroyo – one of the Philippines' most unpopular presidents, who is now speaker of the House of Representatives – said she has "full confidence" in how Duterte and Locsin view the issue.
"Take a calibrated response and be as civil as they have to be. I think that's the right approach," Arroyo said in the interview quoted by ABS-CBN News on Friday, June 14.
Stressing the need to boost ties with China, Arroyo added: "China is our big neighbor in the north. Shouldn't we be friends with our big neighbor in the north?"
During her presidency from 2001 to 2010, Arroyo cozied up to China and signed a controversial joint exploration agreement in the South China Sea. A case challenging the constitutionality of this agreement is pending before the Supreme Court. (READ: Why China chose Arroyo over Aquino)
Duterte, who has also adopted a China-friendly policy, has stayed silent on the June 9 boat sinking incident.
Locsin, while claiming he has filed a diplomatic protest against China, has not lashed out against China over the sinking of a Filipino boat. He has instead vented his anger on others, at one point saying "fuck the international community" when asked to get support from other countries. – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel's sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin hits ‘collision’ of Philippine, Chinese vessels
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: 'Fuck the international community'
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice'
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel
- China envoy vows probe into Philippine boat sinking
- WATCH: Crew of Philippine vessel rammed by Chinese ship on their way home
- Occidental Mindoro town mayor to Duterte: Let's speak out against China
- Navy rebuffs China: PH boat sinking ‘not normal accident’
- Lacson, De Lima call for punitive action vs China and its fishermen
- Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home
- Captain of abandoned PH boat: I'm sure Chinese ship sank us
- Recto Bank: Why China covets what belongs to the Philippines
- Crew of sunken Philippine boat now home