BFAR to give Gem-Ver crew fiberglass boats
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) pledged to give fiberglass boats to the 22 crew members of the sunken F/B Gem-Ver, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol said in a Facebook post.
BFAR Regional Director Elizer Salilig in a text message said that the 30-footer boats will be distributed to the fishermen by the second week of July. These boats will come with "complete accessories and marine diesel engines," he added.
The agency also distributed 22 sacks of rice to these fishermen as immediate assistance on Friday, June 14, upon their arrival in their homeport in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro.
Aside from giving rice and fiberglass boats, Salilig did not mention other support they would provide the fishermen. The sinking of the fishing vessel happened last June 9.
The BFAR has been giving fiberglass boats to fishermen who have lost their own vessels, including those that were hit by calamities such as the fishermen affected by Super Typhoon Yolanda. – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel's sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin hits ‘collision’ of Philippine, Chinese vessels
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: 'Fuck the international community'
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice'
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel
- China envoy vows probe into Philippine boat sinking
- WATCH: Crew of Philippine vessel rammed by Chinese ship on their way home
- Occidental Mindoro town mayor to Duterte: Let's speak out against China
- Navy rebuffs China: PH boat sinking ‘not normal accident’
- Lacson, De Lima call for punitive action vs China and its fishermen
- Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home
- Recto Bank: Why China covets what belongs to the Philippines
- Crew of sunken Philippine boat now home
- Arroyo defends Duterte response to Philippine boat sinking
- INSIDE STORY: How Filipino crew were saved by Vietnamese in West PH Sea
- China claims ship 'besieged by 7 or 8 Filipino boats'
- U.S. hits intimidation at sea after Philippine boat sinking
- Captain of abandoned PH boat: 'Lumubog nga kami, kami pa ang aatake?'
- Demand compensation from China for PH boat sinking – Carpio
- Boat sunk by Chinese ship in West PH Sea now back home
- China takes down statement on Facebook about PH sinking boat
- LOOK: Philippine boat sinking after Chinese ship’s assault