Owner of sunken boat: I feel like we’re slaves of China
OCCIDENTAL MINDORO, Philippines – Felix dela Torre fought back tears as he shared how much he had lost in the sinking of his fishing boat F/B Gem-Ver, which was rammed then abandoned by a Chinese fishing ship on June 9.
"Parang alipin po tayo ng China. Parang wala tayong karapatan sa sarili nating nasasakupan (It's like we are slaves of China. It's like we have no rights over our own territory)," Dela Torre told reporters in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro.
WATCH: Felix dela Torre, owner of sunken PH boat by Chinese fishing ship, says he feels like Filipinos have turned into "slaves" and "lost our rights in our own territory." @rapplerdotcom pic.twitter.com/au3dvoHeMI— Rambo Talabong (@ramboreports) June 15, 2019
Dela Torre shared that Gem-Ver was a boat that was passed on to him by his parents in 2011. It's not much, he said, but it was everything for his family and the families of all its 22 crewmen. (READ: Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice')
"Malaking kawalan po, dahil ito lang po yung hanapbuhay po namin. Sa amin, sa akin lang po umaasa, kasi ang turing po namin, pamilya na (It's a big loss for us because it's our source of livelihood. They only rely on us, on me, because we treat each other as family)," Dela Torre added.
The ramming of the Chinese fishing vessel left a hole at the rear of the boat, causing water to gush in. The crewmen were able to save themselves, but the boat's engine had also been damaged. They lost their catch which they hauled after spending nearly a week in the open seas. That haul could have been sold to cover a month's expenses for each crew member.
Like his crewmen, Dela Torre called China's claim that they attacked instead as a farce. He said he spoke with all his men and they said the same thing. (READ: Captain of abandoned PH boat: I'm sure Chinese ship sank us)
"Nagsisinungaling po ang China (China is lying)," he said – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel's sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin hits ‘collision’ of Philippine, Chinese vessels
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: 'Fuck the international community'
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: 'I only ask for justice'
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel
- China envoy vows probe into Philippine boat sinking
- WATCH: Crew of Philippine vessel rammed by Chinese ship on their way home
- Occidental Mindoro town mayor to Duterte: Let's speak out against China
- Navy rebuffs China: PH boat sinking ‘not normal accident’
- Lacson, De Lima call for punitive action vs China and its fishermen
- Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home
- Recto Bank: Why China covets what belongs to the Philippines
- Crew of sunken Philippine boat now home
- Arroyo defends Duterte response to Philippine boat sinking
- INSIDE STORY: How Filipino crew were saved by Vietnamese in West PH Sea
- China claims ship 'besieged by 7 or 8 Filipino boats'
- U.S. hits intimidation at sea after Philippine boat sinking
- Captain of abandoned PH boat: 'Lumubog nga kami, kami pa ang aatake?'
- Demand compensation from China for PH boat sinking – Carpio
- Boat sunk by Chinese ship in West PH Sea now back home
- China takes down statement on Facebook about PH sinking boat
- LOOK: Philippine boat sinking after Chinese ship’s assault
- BFAR to give Gem-Ver crew fiberglass boats