CEBU CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel rescued dozens of passengers and crew members off the coast of Sibonga, Cebu, after a ferry capsized on Thursday, November 7.
The PCG received a distress call from fastcraft passenger vessel M/V Siargao Princess on Thursday morning.
All 53 passengers and 10 crew members were accounted for and rescued, Coast Guard spokesperson Captain Armand Balilo said during a press conference.
“All accounted now. 63 survivors out of 53 [passengers] and 10 crew onboard for total of 63. [Fifty-nine] of them are now onboard MRRV 4406 enroute to Cebu Port, while 4 are already at the shoreline of Carcar safely. [There are] no deaths and no [persons are] missing,” Commodore Ronie Gavan, commander of Coast Guard Central Visayas, told reporters after the search and rescue mission.
The PCG corrected an earlier figure stating that there were only 7 crew members onboard.
The PCG said the ferry departed at around 9:30 am from Loon, Bohol, and sent the distress call at around 11:30 am when it was 3 to 4 nautical miles off the coast of Cebu.
Philippine Coast Guard personnel responded to a distress call from M/V Siargao Princess off the coast of Sibonga, Cebu. Big waves caused water enter the vessel carrying about 53 passengers and 7 crew members. No serious injuries reported so far. @rapplerdotcom (Photo from PCG) pic.twitter.com/hzHphd7p3b— Ryan Macasero (@ryanmacasero) November 7, 2019
According to the PCG, big waves hit the ferry, causing water to enter its deck.
“The boat has sunk. We haven’t been able to find it,” PCG spokesman Lieutenant Michael Encina told Agence France-Presse.
Medical personnel were waiting for the rescued passengers at the Argao Port. No injuries have been reported, so far. – with reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.