MANILA, Philippines – This year’s procession of the Feast of the Black Nazarene started past 4 am and ended just before 9 pm at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila on Thursday, January 9. It was described as the fastest Traslacion in recent history.
The annual Traslacion of the image made its way from the Quirino Grandstand to Quiapo Church. However, for the first time, the Traslacion crossed the Pasig River via Ayala Bridge, then turned left onto Carlos Palanca Street.
Another innovation was a thick police barricade escorting the andas of the Nazarene in the first hours of the Traslacion.
A midnight Mass opened this year’s observance of the Feast of the Black Nazarene.
Monsignor Hernando Coronel, rector and parish priest of Quiapo Church, was the presider, while Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle was the homilist and gave the final blessing. (WATCH: Midnight Mass with Cardinal Tagle for Nazareno 2020)
In his homily, Tagle called on the faithful to pray for peace in the Middle East, and for the thousands of Filipinos in danger of getting caught in the middle of the brewing conflict in the region.
At the end of the mass, Coronel, led devotees of the Black Nazarene in saying goodbye to Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, who was leaving his post as Manila archbishop. (READ: Nazareno devotees say goodbye to Vatican-bound Tagle)
This was seen as Tagle’s final Nazareno fiesta Mass as Manila archbishop. After 8 years as Manila’s top prelate, Tagle is set to move to Rome as head of a powerful office in the Vatican.
Here are highlights of Rappler’s coverage of Traslacion 2020.
The Black Nazarene leaves Quirino Grandstand to start Traslacion
Devotees complain police barred them from Black Nazarene procession
The Black Nazarene enters Ayala Boulevard from Taft Avenue
The Black Nazarene crosses the Ayala Bridge
Devotee offers his back to help other devotees climb, transfer
(IN PHOTOS: First few hours of Traslacion 2020)
Philippine Catholics swarm Christ icon hoping for miracle
Volunteers share free food and water to tired devotees
Manila residents throw 20-, 100-peso bills for devotees in procession
‘Andas wall’ ends at Arlegui corner Nepomuceno
Devotees struggle to get past police in cramped alley
Devotees find Traslacion ‘joyful and fulfilling’ despite police barricade
At Plaza Miranda, police clash with Traslacion devotees
Here are more stories about Traslacion 2020:
- TINGNAN: Iba’t ibang mukha ng debosyon sa Traslacion 2020
- ‘Sana all’: Devotees cheer couple who got engaged during Traslacion 2020
- Only ‘passing light rain’ possible during Traslacion 2020
- [PODCAST] Who is the Filipino? The Black Nazarene faithful: Devotion or delusion?
- ‘Miracle children’ join parents in Black Nazarene devotions ahead of Traslacion
- LIST: Prohibited items during Traslacion 2020
- Procession route for Traslacion 2020
- Over 2,000 policemen to form ‘andas wall’ for Traslacion 2020
- More security, safety measures for Traslacion
- Police want faster Black Nazarene procession on January 9