MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – With the global spread of the novel coronavirus, Filipinos abroad are also in danger of catching the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
As of Friday, March 20, there have been at least 129 Filipinos who contracted the disease across 13 countries. At least 83 have recovered.
Here’s the breakdown per country, according to the Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA):
- 80 in Japan (Diamond Princess cruise ship, with 77 recoveries)
- 19 in the United States (Grand Princess cruise ship)
- 11 in Singapore (with 2 recoveries)
- 5 in Hong Kong (with 3 recoveries)
- 5 in the United Arab Emirates
- 2 in Lebanon
- 1 in France (with 1 recovery)
- 1 in Switzerland
- 1 in Greece
- 1 in the United Nations in New York City
- 1 in Macau
- 1 in Kuwait
- 1 in South Korea
As of March 20, there have been 230 confirmed cases in the Philippines, including both Filipinos and foreigners.
Worldwide, the novel coronavirus has infected 217,510 and killed 9,020 across 157 countries.
The disease has affected the most from the country it originated, China. After China, the worst-hit countries include Italy, Iran, Spain, and France.
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 12. – Rappler.com